8/21/2013
Okay, I'm finally going to quit sulking and continue writing my journal even though I lost the last month's worth of events when my computer was stolen. Here's what's been happening...
I met with Andy Jones in the airport in Salt Lake City. He introduced me to Jana Capps who would be working with me in Liberia. Our departures were close to the same time, but her trip was much faster, so she arrived the night before me. I arrived in Liberia on July 4th 2013. I believe there is still a digital version of the events of my journey from Salt Lake City to Monrovia somewhere in the world of Google's memory. Hopefully it won't take much effort to find it once I have regular internet access again.
My first couple of weeks in Liberia were full of adjustment. I had to grow accustomed to things like pumping water for my shower every morning, extremely spicy and limited food, and the ever-present giant spiders averaging around four inches wide. I did not, at that time, feel any desperate ache to return home. As I settled in, I spent many hours talking to my family, friends, and boyfriend back home. I also spent a lot of time getting to know Jana and the kids at the orphanage. There are eleven orphans and one five year old boy whose parents are the matron and patron of the orphanage, so he lives at the orphanage with them.
School didn't start for the kids immediately. Jana gave me a lot of books to read from to learn about the teaching methods she wanted me to use during my time here in Zuannah Town. She told me we would wait until Andy Jones arrived before starting a regular school schedule. I spent a lot of my time studying her books, and of course, reading, writing, and drawing for my own pleasure.
Andy arrived about a week after I did. He was, and probably still is, quite worried about me being happy here. I assured him over and over that I was quite well and happy, though eager to start working. Andy stayed only a few days. During that time, we didn't talk much. He was very busy, which was only to be expected considering the magnitude of the work he had to complete in such a short time.
The week after Andy's departure, Jana had finished planning a schedule for the children and I was ready to start teaching. The first few days, the kids were excited, but that didn't last long. The second week of school, we noticed a huge problem. The students wouldn't show up to class. We made it clear that we would not go out of our way to force them to come to school, but they were still expected to finish their homework, which they could only do by getting it from me after class (which they also didn't do). It was a very frustrating and disappointing time for me. Jana and I finally decided that any student with more than four absences would not be allowed to continue their education with me until they could prove that they have learned to be responsible. By the end of the week, all but one of the children had lost the privilege to attend class. That one, Diana, had missed only three classes and she had asked permission before hand so they were excused (she had been sick). In other words, she had no unexcused absences at all. Jana and I were impressed and felt that this behavior proved that she was responsible enough to continue her education. In the weeks that followed, I focused all my attention on Diana and she showed outstanding progress.
Around this same time, I had the opportunity to attend the baptism of two of our orphans, Princess and Jefferline. It was a wonderful experience, though Jana and I were amused that most of the people being baptized, including our girls, had put their jumpsuits on backward. There were no less than a dozen people being baptized that day. I have never in my life seen so many at one time. When I told Nathan about it later in an email (He's on his mission in Chile), he told me that they had been told that there are more baptisms happening in Africa than anywhere else in the world. I do not doubt it for a second.
After the baptism, my spiritual bubble was popped by the discovery that I had been robbed, though not badly. Someone had stolen my two pairs of headphones and five calling cards (they call them "scratch cards" here in Liberia). I didn't want to make a big deal out of it, but Jana and Rufus insisted that the kids needed to be punished until the real culprit was caught. Rufus decided to take the money from their allowance to pay for my lost items. I'm not sure I feel very good about that, but that was what was decided. Since then, there have been a lot of accusations, but no solid evidence or confessions.
Naturally, after that, I was much more aware of the weaknesses in the security of my bedroom. I became aware, for example, that two of the bars in one of my two windows were missing. I also noticed that one of the locks on that same window was broken. Obviously, the next time we all left the compound (which was for church) I locked both the windows and shutters on that broken window. It only barely occurred to me that anyone might be able to get in the other window. I considered it quite safe,
however, since it had solid bars, and the screen which was fitted with chicken-wire on top locked firmly in place.
Upon returning from church, I knew something was wrong. There was a whole about a foot wide in my window screen. I rushed into my room and discovered that my laptop, camera, and car adapter were missing along with the internet modem belonging to the home. I felt quite sick and instantly called Rufus for help. He had taken Jana to the clinic since she wasn't feeling well. He told me that he would get in touch with the police and Andy.
I spent most of that day crying and thinking of my loss. There were so many important things on that computer; pictures, writing, homework that I had hoped to save. I believe that a more detailed description of that day can be found in my hand-written journal, so I will not re-write it here. Needless to say, it was a really bad day.
That entire week seemed to be filled with really bad days. Jana returned from the clinic with the news that she had 2+ Malaria. Of course, she and I had no idea what that meant. Perhaps if she had known, she would have made arrangements to be sent home that day. By the next day, she could barely walk. Unfortunately for her, Rufus was in town dealing with the police and other things, so he could not take her to the hospital until late that evening. News came ahead of him that they had found the man that stole my things and he was in jail. That, however, needed to wait until Jana was taken care of.
The drive to the hospital was difficult. I hate hospitals because they always remind me of horrible things that I've had to deal with. I kept thinking of Nathan lying in the hospital covered in blood, my mom crying in pain barely able to speak after her surgery, Nina clutching her badly broken leg. Ugh! All I could do to keep these thoughts out of my head was to sing. I sang hymn after hymn nearly the whole drive. Once my throat was too sore to sing, I put my head down and cried.
It was late, near midnight, when we arrived at JFK Memorial Hospital in Monrovia. The doctor who spoke to us there was quite angry that the clinic doctors hadn't sent Jana strait to the hospital upon discovering she had Malaria. He said that Malaria can be fatal to those who have never been exposed to it before and 2+ Malaria is quite severe.
I called the one person I knew I could count on for comfort, my boyfriend Quass. He talked to me quite a while. Don't remember most of what he said, but I remember that it helped. He may be a strange character, but he is more in touch with the spirit than anyone I know, except perhaps BreeAnn. He knew right off what to say to help me feel better. He is an amazing man! I can't believe I got so lucky to have such a guy for a boyfriend.
Several hours later, we left Jana and headed home. The next day, we went back to talk to the police, then to visit Jana. I couldn't bring myself to brave the hospital two days in a row, so I waited outside while Rufus and Vick went in. The next day was the same, but I was feeling braver so I went to speak to Jana for a little while.
A week later, Jana was released from the hospital. She wasn't ready to go. She had had an allergic reaction to her medication, but the doctor had already discharged her and wouldn't re-admit her. She came back to Zuannah Town for a couple days, and then went home to receive higher quality care. It was really hard and a bit scary to see her go. I think I had gotten used to the idea that she would always be here to back me up if I ever needed her. More than that, it was comforting just to have another American around.
I moved into Jana's bedroom after she left. It made me feel safer since her windows are made differently and are much more secure than mine were. I continued to work with Diana. She memorized her times tables from 1 to 6 in just one week. I was so pleased with her! She has also made excellent progress in her writing and memorizing poems. I just wish I could get her to read more.
I was asked to teach Relief Society the week before Jana left. Jana didn't come because she was so sick, but I think that made it easier for me. The lesson went really well. I'm pretty sure I wrote about it in my other journal. Still I thought I should mention it. It was the first time I had ever taught Relief Society...or any church class other than that one time years and years ago I taught primary for one Mother's day so the moms could go to class with their husbands. Anyway, I had been really worried about not being able to understand what the sisters were saying to me. The language here has been quite a struggle for me. Still, with the reminder from Jana that God can grant us the gift of the interpretation of tongues, I had no trouble at all understanding the sisters. Our Heavenly Father is quite amazing!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment